By Charles Plueddeman
2013 Crestliner 1850 Super Hawk Boat Test Notes
Notes from Charles Plueddeman, who reviewed this 18 foot fish and ski boat.
Wow…this boat is a rocket with the 175 Verado, although we did not have a typical load of angling gear on board. It really airs out at WOT. I can’t imagine needing a 200-hp Verado, and I think the Mercury 150 Four Stroke would be a great engine choice; it’s lighter than a Verado and more fuel efficient.
The optional bench seat would top my options list, especially for family use. It offers a much more secure spot for kids than pedestal fishing seats, and when folded you’ve got a huge aft platform.
A Sport Package includes the bench seat, tilt steering, a small swim platform with boarding ladder, and a premium Clarion stereo with four speakers. It also swaps two of the fishing seats for reclining helm seats.
The big windshield is great on cold mornings. Even when it’s warm too much breeze makes kids tired, so it might extend your day of family boating, too.
The optional bow cushions are sized to stow in the center ski locker.
Features that didn’t make the video:
- Toe rail at the gunwale base to better brace the angler hauling in a lunker
- Wide gunwales that are designed to mount downriggers without drilling
- Access panel in the splashwell that can be removed to accommodate a kicker outboard
- Washdown system
- Vinyl flooring
- Extra livewell in the bow
- Battery chargers
- Fishing electronics
- Fishing seat choices
- Charles Plueddeman is Boats.com's outboard, trailer, and PWC expert. He is a former editor at Boating Magazine and contributor to many national publications since 1986.