Overview: The Lowe Sportsman 16 is a well thought-out boat for hunting and fishing.
Test Conditions: Light chop, 1/2 tank fuel, two people aboard
• Unique hunting and fishing hybrid
• Open hunting-style side console layout
• Spacious dual casting decks
• V-hull design
• .100” 5052 Aluminum
• All-welded construction
• Extruded extra-strength ribs
• Six formed-in strakes
• 38 mph top speed w/Mercury 60HP outboard
• Fuel-efficient; only 5.5 gph at WOT
• Time to plane: 3.7 seconds
• Deadrise, strakes provide excellent tracking
• Can porpoise in rough water; able to settle with trim
• Minimal draft makes it easy to get into skinny waters
• 22-gallon aerated livewell
• Lockable rod/gun locker
• Receiver gunwale track for accessories
• Optional Gator Skin nonslip liner
• Optional hand-applied camo paint
• Trailer: Single-axle w/loading guides
For more information, visit the Lowe Sportsman 16 web page.
Jeff Hemmel was a senior editor at Watercraft World with work appearing in Consumer’s Digest, Boating, Motor Boating, and more. Jeff has won 17 writing awards, is an inductee into the International Jet Sports Boating Association Hall of Fame, and won its 2008 Lifetime Achievement Award for Outstanding Journalistic Contributions. For more info, visit his website.