December 3rd 2011.
By Jeff Hemmel
By Jeff Hemmel
Tigé RZ Series Boat Test Notes
Jeff Hemmel shares his detailed notes form the Tige RZ Series Video Boat Review.
- Wakeboard/wake surf-oriented models focused on delivering ideal wake size and shape.
- Large passenger capacity to bring plenty of friends along for the ride.
- Versatile hull, trim tab, ballast combo tailors wake size and shape.
- High-density, closed-cell foam, injection-molded stringer system precisely follows inner contours of hull.
- Engine mount beams and floor systems manufactured from Penske Xtreme composite panel, reinforced with both strand and woven fiberglass.
- Engine mounts thru-bolted on 2” Penske beams fitted with structural aluminum saddles.
- Hull, core and floor components laminated and joined before fully cured, forming primary bond. Hull and deck chemically bonded; hand-laid fiberglass backs entire hull-deck joint.
- Exceptional lifetime hull replacement warranty.
- Top speed: 43.4 mph with 409hp PCM 5.0-liter V-drive engine.
- Best fuel economy: 3.2 mpg at 25 mph.
- Extremely responsive, sports car-like handling.
- Strong acceleration, minimal bowrise.
- Convex V hull design features wakeboard-like rocker. Naturally settles to produce a large wake at wakeboard/wake surf speeds.
- TAPS trim plate can be lowered to push bow down, produce ski-friendly wake sizes, as well as further fine-tune wake shape for board riding.
- Lack of directional thrust requires brief learning curve around the dock.
- Driving with fully loaded ballast requires care in sharp turns.
- Picklefork bow style avoids tight confines of traditional V bow shape, opens up passenger room.
- Tige Touch; iPad-like touchscreen controls all the boat’s vital functions, including speed control, ballast load, sound system. Cool, but can be hard to see in occasional glare.
- Water ballast further increases wake size, can be distributed to fore, aft, starboard and port tanks to personalize wakes.
- Cast-aluminum Alpha Z tower exceptionally solid. Spring-loading makes raising, lowering tower one-man job if necessary.
- Wet Sounds speaker system features power amps and tower speakers for big sound quality.
- Well-designed transom activity center offers place to gear up for skiing or riding, wet stowage compartments double as coolers.
About the author:
- Jeff Hemmel writes for boats.com, Boating, PersonalWatercraft.com, and Powersports Business. The former Senior Editor at Watercraft World, Jeff is a multi-time award winner as well as a 2008 inductee into the IJSBA Hall of Fame. His first book, "The Anti-Pirate Potato Cannon...and 101 Other Things For Young Mariners To Try, Do, & Build On the Water," received a bronze medal in the 2010 Moonbeam Children's Book Awards. For more info, visit Jeff Hemmel's website.