By Lenny Rudow
Bayliner 217 SD Boat Test Notes
Our detailed look inside this zippy twenty footer from Crestliner.
Watch the Bayliner 217 SD Video Boat Review
Overview: A deck boat that offers many different ways to have fun on the water.
Concept: Provide the maximum amount of space possible for the LOA, as well as family-friendly watersports and fishing opportunities.
- Fiberglass-encapsulated stringer grid; stainless-steel fittings; heavy-duty marine-grade vinyl cushions; aft hatches have gas-assist struts.
- Zippy—we hit 47.2 mph!
- Predictable handling for V-hulls of this type and size.
- Broad foredeck knocks down spray.
- Massive foredeck sunpad has room for three bathing beauties.
- A small portable MSD is hidden under the aft seats.
- Entertainment center has a cooler niche built in.
- Tower option turns it into a wakeboarding machine.
- Stowage compartments accessible from both cockpit and swim platform.
- Lenny Rudow is Senior Editor for Dominion Marine Media, including Boats.com and Yachtworld.com. With over two decades of experience in marine journalism, he has contributed to publications including Boating Magazine, Marlin Magazine, Boating World, Saltwater Sportsman, Texas Fish & Game, and many others. Lenny is a graduate of the Westlawn School of Yacht Design who has won 28 BWI and OWAA writing awards.
- Connect with Lenny Rudow on Google+