By Charles Plueddeman
Stinger 18 HP Special Edition, by Lowe: Boat Test Notes
After testing this special edition boat for a Boats.com video review, Charles Plueddeman submitted these detailed notes.
Overview: An aluminum bass boat with the performance boost of a pad running surface and high-performance two-stroke outboard, loaded with extra features for the Lowe 40th Anniversary.
An affordable aluminum bass boat that splits the performance difference between a typical aluminum mod-V model and a fiberglass bass boat that costs much more money.
- All-welded aluminum hull created from two extruded sections, MIG-welded together down the keel, supported by “powergrid” aluminum structure
- Aluminum TufDeck deck
- Aluminum console with molded acrylic cap
- Top speed of 50 mph with optional Mercury Optimax Pro XS 115 outboard and stainless steel Laser II propeller
- Effortless cruising at 40 mph
- Pad hull enhances hole shot and provides outstanding lift and stability at speed
- Tracks well in very rough conditions; ride is good for boat type
- In smooth water, takes a nice set and turns with confidence
- As a Special Edition, hull is finished with black and silver paint and special graphics
- 24-volt MotorGuide FW75FB trolling motor
- Bow-mount Lowrance X-52DS fish locator and helm-mount Lowrance X-50DS fish locator
- Deluxe helm with chrome-bezel instruments, tilt steering, and polished stainless steel Gussi wheel
- Upgraded black and silver upholstery
- Painted trailer with cast-aluminum wheels and swing-away tongue
- Dual 7-foot rod lockers
- Locking dry storage
- 13-gallon forward live well; 30-gallon aft live well
- 19-gallon fuel tank is small for this engine rating
For more information, visit Lowe Boats.
- Charles Plueddeman is Boats.com's outboard, trailer, and PWC expert. He is a former editor at Boating Magazine and contributor to many national publications since 1986.